It’s time for the first edition of the Captain’s Quiz 6: Our First Christmas Together.
Be warned, Santa is not a thing here in Luxembourg, and for a moment, I thought I’d skip this one. But after Paul tagged me on Twitter, it seemed rude. I gave it my best shot, be gentle with me. Fingers crossed I made it in time. Time zones, eh?!
Good luck to every participant, and happy holidays to everyone.
To participate, answer the questions below in a blog post of your own and link it back to this post so I see it.
There are no right or wrong answers; there are only answers. Feel free to provide as many, or as few details as you want, at your own peril.
You will receive a score of 1, 3, or 5 points for your response to the 10 Questions. Your answers may unlock hidden bonus points, so answer wisely.
There are 3 Bonus Questions. The scoring for them will be kept a secret until the final results are posted.
You have until Noon on Thursday, December 23 to participate. The results will be posted next Friday.
THE 10 QUESTIONS
- Santa Claus is on a health kick this holiday season. Instead of milk and cookies, what snacks would you leave out for him?
Poor Santa. I’d leave oatmeal biscuits and a glass of soy milk.
- Picture your 8-year-old self. You are home alone during the holidays, when burglars try to break in to your house. What do you do?
I think, I would use all my toys to make my home burglar proof. Also, I’d put glue and nails on the stairs, maybe throw an iron at one and make sure all the handles to all the doors are hot, so that they burn their hands. I would not be afraid.
- Have you ever bought a gift for someone else that you wanted to keep for yourself? If so, what was it?
I did. It was a watch I gave my husband. He never wore it. Maybe I did.
- Which would you rather build: a snowman or a snow fort? Explain your decision.
I would build a snowman. Where I am there is not a lot of snow, and a snowman in front of your home looks better than a fort.
- It is your job to remind others to drive safely in treacherous winter conditions. Write a Public Service Announcement that will play on the radio this winter.
‘Tis the season to be jolly, but by golly, ‘tis also the season of snow and ice; so unless you are Santa in a sleigh that flies, stay prudent on the street and you’ll arrive in time for every family feast.
- There is a holiday party at your workplace and everyone must bring in one dish of food to share. What are you bringing?
My famous tomato/mozzarella salad and as a dessert, chocolate chip cookies
- Someone got you a hippopotamus for Christmas because you insisted, “only a Hippopotamus will do”. How did they give it to you?
With a smile and a card stuck in the very obvious wrapping paper :“this is Gloria. A beautiful hippo girl. Take good care of her and be careful when she marks her territory.”
- What advice would you give someone who isn’t good at wrapping presents?
Do your best. Everyone is more interested in what’s inside a wrap anyway.
- In the movie, Home Alone, Kevin McCallister says, “Be sure to bundle up if you go outside. It’s a little nippy.” How do you stay warm when it’s cold?
Many layers of clothes, gloves, scarf and when it is very cold, a hat too.
- Are you a Dasher or a Dancer? Why?
Depending on the mood, but mostly a Dancer, I’d say. I am not a leader and I am not fast.
- Santa is about to put you on the naughty list this year. Convince him he’s making a mistake and that you were a good person in 2021.
Dear Santa, I know you think I have been naughty this year; but look at your list again. I did a lot of good too. I gave to charity, never lied, I was always kind and humble. Look into your beautiful heart and you will see the truth, dear Santa. I trust that in all your wisdom you see that my name on the naughty list was a mistake. Merry Christmas
- There have been allegations that Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was bullied by his fellow reindeer. The North Pole calls you in to give the reindeer a stern talking-to. What do you say?
Listen, reindeers. How would you feel if you were singled out and laughed at for being different? You are better than that. All of you have qualities and flaws. But only by working together you are the best team Santa ever had. If I catch you bullying one another again, you will face consequences. Are we clear?! Now go finish your chores.
- On the television show, The OC, Seth Cohen created Chrismukkah as a way to celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. Meanwhile, on Seinfeld, George Costanza’s family celebrates Festivus – a secular and non-commercial holiday – on December 23. Create your own alternate winter holiday and tell me all about it. What’s it called? What are the traditions? Who can celebrate?
Since I am not a festive person, I would celebrate on winter solstice (21st December) and call it “Winter’s night festivities”. We gather around at night, with good company, food and music. No presents. We will light up little fires in the garden and stay up until the sun goes up. The next day is solely for sleeping everything off. Everyone who is able to stay up all night can celebrate with us. Everyone is welcome.